Monday 4 October 2010

Alphabet Soup Part 2 - Research

As I will be creating a full typeface based on my partners characteristics, interests and hobbies, I first wanted to research into possible design ideas which could influence my own ideas. I have focused on the following words: Academic, precise and neat; therefore I will look for examples of type which are angular, geometric and mathematic.



http://www.typographyserved.com/gallery/Experimental-Typography/606276

I like the use of geometric shapes and intertwining lines and could try to achieve a similar effect in my own development of type. The text seems to flow despite the juxtaposition of sharp and smooth shapes - shattered glass effect becomes an array of bubbles, for example.




http://www.typographyserved.com/gallery/Emirates_-Corp_-Logo-Illustration/655163 

This stylish typeface has an essence of serif typographic styles but is also modern and 'sophisticated' - especially for a logo. The type itself consists of lines and shapes but the majority is block colour (black).




http://www.typographyserved.com/gallery/Polar--Nueva-TipografAa_/521653

I think the way in which some of the letters create block colour where angles are formed (for example, in the letter 'V'). I remember a technique where several lines, joined at different measurements along 2 lines creating an angle, formed a curved shape, similar to this typeface. I will experiment with this and reference during my development.










(Accidently posted on DP blog so added to early DC post)

No comments:

Post a Comment